I worked on this recipe for MONTHS… trying to get that blend between being able to cook 1kg of mince, efficiently using the thermo mixer and having a finished product that was of the consistency of Joe’s liking (prior to this, he was NOT a fan of bolognese from a thermo mixer!) It can be customised for your preferred consistency, from large chunks of mince throughout the sauce, to much finer. It’s also a great option for getting a good dose of veggies, but with the focus being on the bolognese. It’s perfect for using in lasagne, freezes well and is a staple in The 4 Blades kitchen. – Bec
This recipe was featured in Episode 48 of the podcast.
Reader feedback: “Thanks for the terrific recipe. Made it up this morning and once it was finished it made up 2kg in total. I portioned it up and have frozen it to enjoy another day. Looking forward to it. Thanks Bec.” – Sandra
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
- onions – 240g, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves – 2, peeled
- carrots – 240g, roughly chopped
- capsicum – 120g, flesh only
- zucchini – 170g
- bacon – 100g
- olive oil – 30g
- beef mince – 1kg (or mince of choice)
- red wine – 100g
- tomatoes – 400g tin, crushed or diced
- vegetable stock – 50g, paste, 50g, paste (using half the recommended salt – adjust to salt preference)
- tomato paste – 2 Tbsp (optional)
- Add onions (240g), garlic (2), carrots (240g), capsicum (120g), zucchini (170g), and bacon (100g) to the TM bowl. Speed 5-6 / 5 seconds.
- Add oil (30g). Set 5 minutes / Steaming Temp / Reverse+Speed Spoon. MC off.
- Add mince (1kg) to the steaming attachment lower dish. Rough up the mince with your spatula. Put the steaming attachment in place. Set 6 minutes / Steaming Temp / Reverse+Speed Spoon.
- Take the lid off the steaming attachment. Rough the mince up again.
- Set scales and pour red wine (100g) over the mince. Replace lid. Set 6 minutes / Steaming Temp / Reverse+Speed Spoon.
- Take the steaming attachment lid off and place it upside down on the bench next to your thermo mixer. Lift the steaming attachment off the lid of your thermo mixer and place on the steaming attachment lid.
- Push any remnants sitting on the lid of your thermo mixer into the bowl. Add tomatoes (400g), stock paste (50g) and tomato paste (2 Tbsp) through the hole in the lid. Rough up the mince again.
- Lift up the steaming attachment and put it back in place on your thermo mixer. Tip any juices / liquid now on the steaming attachment lid into the sink. Put the lid back onto the steaming attachment. Set 18 minutes / Steaming Temp / Reverse + Spoon.
- If you like your bolognese REALLY chunky, just mix the mince with the sauce and chop up with the spatula to your desired consistency. Otherwise, add the mince to the thermo mixer bowl and mix on Reverse+Speed 4 / UP TO 5 seconds to incorporate the mince.
Keywords: Free Thermomix Recipes, LCHF, Lower Carb, Lunch & Dinner Thermomix Recipes