Green and Grain Free Pancakes
We wanted to create something fun and delicious for St Patrick’s Day (note: these were originally created for Episode 98 of the podcast: St Patrick’s Day Thermomix Recipes)… but boy was it a happy twist of fate that we have enjoyed these green grain free pancakes so much that we have already made them for breakfast on a number of occasions.
Call them green pancakes, call them spinach & feta pancakes, heck… call them Shrek pancakes (or maybe Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!), but definitely give them a go!
Now, let’s just say straight up: if grain free doesn’t interest you, you may still love this recipe. Simply get your favourite savoury pancake recipe and add in 50g baby spinach and 2 handfuls of fresh basil (blitz it up on Speed 10), then add 70g of crumbled feta. Follow the recipe for more details.
We love that these are easy to munch on, and a great way to get a serve of greens first thing in the morning. They have a lovely savoury taste, enhanced by the basil and feta.Print
Spinach and Feta Grain Free Pancakes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4
The 4 Blades wanted to create something fun and delicious on the blog for St Patrick’s Day 2016. Call them green pancakes, call them spinach & feta pancakes, heck… call them Shrek® pancakes (or maybe Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles®!), but definitely give them a go! Now, let’s just say straight up: if grain free doesn’t interest you, you may still love this recipe. Simply get your favourite savoury pancake recipe and add in 50g baby spinach and 2 handfuls of fresh basil (blitz it up on Speed 10), then add 70g of crumbled feta. Follow the recipe for more details.
This recipe was also featured on Episode 98 of the podcast: St Patrick’s Day Thermomix Recipes.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Well, these guys were A HIT for the whole fam!!! Definitely making them again!!!” – Rach
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
- besan / chickpea flour – 200g (or whole dried chickpeas) 50g tapioca starch
- tapioca starch – 50g
- salt flakes – 1.5 tsp (less for fine salt)
- apple cider vinegar – 25g
- soda water – 200g sparkling water
- baby spinach – 50g leaves
- fresh basil – 2 handfuls of leaves
- feta cheese – 70g, crumbled
- oil – or butter, for frying
- If making your own besan, add dried chickpeas (200g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 10.
- To the besan (200g), add the tapioca (50g), bicarb soda (1 tsp), salt (1.5 tsp), vinegar (25g), soda water (200g), spinach (50g) and basil leaves (2 handfuls) to the bowl. Mix Speed 10 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides and repeat if necessary.Add the crumbled feta (70g) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 3 / 10 seconds.
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat, with oil or butter.
- Once the pan is hot, add spoonfuls of the batter to the pan. Use a few spoonfuls per pancake.
- Once the pancake is bubbling, flip over and cook for a couple of minutes on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and repeat until all the batter has been used. You may wish to add more oil or butter throughout the process.
- Serve immediately, whilst warm and fresh.
Cannot be frozen
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: Thermomix Breakfasts, Free Thermomix Recipes, |Lunch & Dinner Thermomix Recipes, Savoury Thermomix Snacks, Vegetarian