The gorgeous girls over at the Organic's Sisters Facebook page created this fabulous wholefoods gluten-free / dairy-free version of Caramel Slice.
I cannot tell you the last time I had caramel slice… but it sure did bring back memories from my childhood. In fact, I think caramel slice was written on the front page of a recipe book, given to me by my eldest sister. I loved it. However, when gluten and dairy aren't your friends, neither is caramel slice.
So, you can understand why I was so excited about turning this recipe into a TM-friendly recipe!
20 x 30cm Tray
Pitted dates, 240g
Coconut oil, 3 tsp
Coconut oil, ½ cup
Tahini, 1 ½ Tbsp
Maple syrup, ½ cup
Raw cashews , 1 cup (covered and soaked in water for an hour and then rinsed)
Water, 1/3 cup
Top Chocolate layer
Coconut oil, ¼ cup
Maple syrup, ¼ cup
Raw cacao powder, ¼ cup
Before you start – Take 1 cup of cashews, place in bowl and cover with water to soak.
- Take all of the ingredients for the base and blitz on speed 10 for 1 minute.
- Place the greaseproof paper in the bottom of the baking tray and press the base out evenly across the paper, into the tin. Place in the freezer.
- Drain cashews from the water.
- Place all ingredients in bowl, slowly turn speed from 1-10 over 20 seconds and then leave for 40 seconds on speed 10.
- Pour caramel filling over the base and put back into the freezer for at least an hour.
- Place all ingredients in bowl, speed soft, 50 degrees, 4 minutes (or until 50 degrees has been reached).
- Pour the topping over the frozen caramel layer.
- Return to freezer overnight.
Once frozen, take whole slice out of the tin. Chop up into squares and return to fridge / freezer in an airtight container, with layers of greaseproof paper in between.
This is COMPLETELY delicious and I'm forever indebted to Organic Sisters for fulfilling my caramel slice craving, without getting sick! Please help me repay them by liking their Facebook page today!
Joe and I talked about this recipe in Episode 3 of The 4 Blades podcast. Check it out!