Canned Tomato Relish
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 800g of relish
This scrumptious recipe comes from the very clever Toni Coward from Make it Perfect. “I was listening to a cooking talk show on the radio one Saturday morning as I was driving to an appointment and heard about using canned tomatoes to make relish. I looooove relish and always wanted to make it, but didn’t want to commit myself to a large quantity and I always seem to miss the tomato season so when I’m finally ready to get around to making it the tomatoes are too expensive. So this got me thinking…using canned tomatoes + the thermo mixer to make relish…I hunted around for recipes, but didn’t find anything that looked just right, so I melded a few together and adjusted the taste once I’d finished cooking and have come up with a delicious tomato relish recipe using canned tomatoes!” – Toni
This recipe was also featured as a free recipe on The 4 Blades blog.
Please note: Like most tomato or curry-based dishes, this sauce will most likely stain the internal silicone seal of your mixer lid. This will not affect the flavour of future dishes and the colour will fade over a few uses.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
- tinned tomatoes – 800g
- onion – 2, large, cun into small cubes
- apple – 1, peeled and cut into small cubes
- curry powder – 1 Tbsp
- salt – 1 Tbsp
- mustard – 1 Tbsp
- white vinegar – 180g, plus a little extra
- white sugar – 80g
- brown sugar – 60g
- cornflour – 1 Tbsp
- Place tomatoes (800g), onions (2), apple (1), curry powder (1 Tbsp), salt (1 Tbsp), mustard (1 Tbsp), white vinegar (180g), white sugar (80g) and brown sugar (60g) into the bowl. Program 30 minutes / 100C / Speed 1. Place internal steaming basket on top to prevent any splatters.
- Make a paste with cornflour (1 Tbsp) mixed in a little vinegar.
- Add to relish and program 1 minute / 100C / Speed 1. Relish will be runny, but will thicken on cooling.
- Pour relish into jars and seal.
Cannot be frozen
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
Keywords: Thermomix Condiments & Marinades, Free Thermomix Recipes, Vegan, Vegetarian