These little babies might not be much to look at, but boy do they pack a flavour punch. They were made extra budget-friendly by utilising frozen fish AND frozen blocks of coriander that we made from coriander that was on its last legs (see Budget Tip: Harvesting Herbs). If you can buy fresh fillets locally, and cheaper, by all means get those. You can double the recipe to make it go further. Scroll down beneath the recipe for the breakdown of costs.
This recipe was also featured in Episode 80 of the podcast: Thermomix Budget Tips.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “These are unbelievably easy to make. I must admit I was skeptical about the flavour punch, with only having minimal ingredients, but the whole family (husband, kids and in-laws!) agreed they were totally delicious. The plate was empty in under two minutes! As an added bonus you can freeze them for school lunch boxes (if there are any left!)” – Lou
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
- fresh coriander – 30g, we used home-frozen
- white fish fillets – 400g, frozen
- sweet chilli sauce – 60g
- fish sauce – 10g
- plain flour – for coating (*can use GF)
- oil – to shallow fry
- If using fresh coriander (30g), add to the bowl and blitz Speed 7 / 3 seconds. If using blocks of frozen, blitz Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Add chunks of frozen fish (400g), sweet chilli sauce (60g) and fish sauce (10g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 8. Assist with spatula if required.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Cover your plate with flour and drop mounds of the mixture onto the flour from a spoon, then coat the mound to form patties. Note: we did it like this as the mixture is COLD and we don’t want you to get frostbite!
- Heat some oil in the frying pan. Once heated, add some of the fish cakes to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes both sides, or until lightly browned. Set aside and repeat for remaining mixture.
- These are very flavoursome on their own, but can also be served with chilli sauce (you can make your own from our Make Your Own Subscriber Bonus Issue). They can be served warm or cold.
Can be frozen
Keywords: Free Thermomix Recipes, Lunch & Dinner Thermomix Recipes, Savoury Thermomix Snacks, Seafood, Thermomix Side Dishes