These yummy paleo hot cross buns have been shared with us as a guest post from Helen Marshall of Primal Alternative. We hosted Helen on Episode 139 of the podcast: Going Primal. We loved hearing about how Helen turned the ‘health crisis’ of her late 30s on its head by adapting a primal diet. She turned her health around and then began sharing her collection of recipes (of which these Paleo Hot Cross Buns are only one!) with other primal women, ‘Primalistas‘ across Australia to help them help others, and grow a business along the way!
These Paleo Hot Cross Buns are grain free, gluten free, dairy free, yeast free and can easily be made in your Thermomix. Just in time for Easter around the corner!
Note about ingredients: You may find that store-bought almond meal gives you a softer texture. You can also use raw almonds to make your own almond meal in your Thermomix rather than the blanched almonds listed in the ingredients below, it will just give a more ‘wholemeal’ appearance. We made our own almond meal, and added a pinch of xanthan gum to help with binding but please note that xanthan gum is not considered a ‘paleo’ ingredient.
No: Gluten / Dairy
Contains: Egg / Nuts
- almonds – 200g, blanched, or almond meal
- orange – 1, zest only
- tapioca starch – 170g
- baking powder – 1 tsp
- cinnamon – 1 tsp, ground
- allspice – 1/2 tsp
- cloves – 1/4 tsp, ground
- nutmeg – 1/2 tsp, ground
- salt – pinch
- eggs – 3
- coconut oil – 125g, melted
- honey – 90g
- sultanas – 80g
- tapioca starch – 1 Tbsp, may need more to get the balance right
- water – 2 tsp, may need more to get the balance right
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add blanched almonds (200g) and orange zest (from 1 orange) to the bowl. Process Speed 8 / 10 seconds. If you prefer, you can use almond meal and orange zest in the same quantities.
- Add tapioca starch (170g), baking powder (1 tsp), ground cinnamon (1 tsp), allspice (1/2 tsp), ground cloves (1/4 tsp), ground nutmeg (1/2 tsp), salt (pinch), eggs (3), melted coconut oil (125g) and honey (90g) to the bowl. Combine Speed 5 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add sultanas (80g) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 4 / 5 seconds.
- Using a tablespoon, add one heaped spoonful of mix to each hole of a muffin tray.
- To make the piping for the crosses, combine tapioca starch (1 Tbsp) and water (2 tsp) in a snap lock bag. Combine by pressing together with your fingers and add a few more drops of water (or another teaspoon of tapioca if you go a bit far in other way!) until you get a nice consistency.
- Snip the very end off the bag and pipe a cross onto each bun.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Tip: due to the grain free nature of these buns, the shape is held by cooking in a muffin tray. You may find that your crosses disappear or get distorted in the cooking process. If so, pipe some more of the mixture on them after cooking and toast for a few minutes under the grill.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
Keywords: Thermomix Breakfasts, Thermomix Desserts, Free Thermomix Recipes, Sweet Thermomix Snacks, Vegetarian