Apparently (according to the wisdom of Wikipedia), a Hummingbird Cake is a banana pineapple spice cake from the United States. It’s quite funny, therefore, that our version has neither banana nor pineapple! In fact, if it wasn’t for Jane of Marinya Cottage Kitchen, we wouldn’t even know about Hummingbird Cake, let alone these Thermomix Little Hummingbird Cakes that we bring you now!
These are grain free and dairy free and really quite delicious. They are quite moist. We found the best result was to cook them in the thick paper cases that you see pictured. You can even serve those with a spoon and eat like a little pudding. We also tried with a silicon baking tray. Which was a good option too (although allow them to cool completely before removing otherwise you will lose the bottoms of them!) They are freezable. We pulled them out to add to our Thermomix Lunch Box Ideas episode of the podcast. This mixture makes about 12.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
- zucchini – 170g, cut into chunks
- carrot – 140g, cut into chunks
- apple – 130g, quartered
- desiccated coconut – 190g
- coconut oil – 40g
- eggs – 4
- rice malt syrup – 75g, or honey
- cinnamon – 1 tsp, ground
- baking powder – 1 tsp, GF
- vanilla – 1 tsp, extract
- Set the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Add the zucchini, carrot & apple. Grate Speed 6 / 3 seconds.
- Drain any juice by pressing a spatula into the mix (see picture).
- Add the 190g of desiccated coconut.
- Press Turbo 4 times, use a spatula to bring all ingredients together if needed.
- Add the 40g coconut oil, 4 eggs, 75g rice malt syrup, 1 tsp each of cinnamon / baking powder / vanilla extract.
- Reverse+Speed 4 / 30 seconds. Use spatula to integrate any ingredients that haven’t mixed in.
- Spoon the mixture into your cupcake cases / muffin tins / silicon tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Jane from Marinya Cottage Kitchen says that you can serve them with coconut cream, cream cheese, cashew cream or fresh fruit… but we just ate them as they were.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: Thermomix Desserts, Free Thermomix Recipes, Sweet Thermomix Snacks, Vegetarian