One word: impressive! This is the cake you want to whip up to take to an event or celebrate a team member’s birthday at work. People will think you are a baking genius!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Delicious! Looked pretty good too!” – Diana
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
- icing sugar – to dust
- walnuts – 100g
- carrot – 200g, cut into large chunks
- caster sugar – 200g
- eggs – 3
- olive oil – 120g
- plain flour – 250g (*can use GF)
- baking powder – 1 tsp (*ensure GF if required)
- vanilla – 1/2 tsp, extract
- bicarb soda – 1 tsp
- salt – 1/4 tsp
- cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- sultanas – 120g
- icing sugar – 120g, plus extra for dusting
- cream cheese – 500g
- cream – 200g, pure
- lemon juice – 40g
- vanilla bean paste – 1 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a cake tin with baking paper.
- If you need to make your own caster sugar, add sugar (200g) to the bowl and grind Speed 9 / 3 seconds. Set aside.
- Add walnuts (100g) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 6 / 3 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the carrot chunks (200g) to the mixer bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 4 seconds. Transfer to the bowl with the walnuts.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Add the caster sugar (200g), eggs (3) and olive oil (120g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 3.
- Remove the whisk attachment. Add the reserved nuts and carrots to the mixing bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds.
- Add the plain flour (250g), baking powder (1 tsp), vanilla extract (1/2 tsp), bicarb soda (1 tsp), salt (1/4 tsp) and cinnamon (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 20 seconds.
- Add sultanas (120g) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 2 / 4 seconds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Test by inserting a wooden skewer. If it comes out clean, it is done.
- Remove the cake from the oven and put on the wire cooling rack. After 10 minutes, remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool down entirely.
- Once cooled, slice the cake into two even layers.
- If you need to make your own icing sugar, add sugar (120g) to the clean, dry bowl and grind Speed 9 / 10 seconds.
- To the icing sugar (120g), add the cream cheese (500g), pure cream (200g), lemon juice (40g) and vanilla bean paste (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix on Speed 6 until smooth.
- Spoon over one layer of the cake and smooth out.
- Top with the second layer of cake.
- Allow to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Can be frozen
- Prep Time: 10 minutes + 30 minutes chilling time
- Cook Time: 35-40 minutes