In Episode 7, we got a little Mexican in The 4 Blades Kitchen.
We made a complete meal from scratch in 50 minutes (note: literally nothing was prepared before the timer started!) Here’s how we did it:
1 – Made the dough for the wheat tortillas, as per the instructions from Cat at Making Cents at Home. Sat the dough aside.
2 – Made the taco seasoning mix, as per the instructions from Sonia at Natural New Age Mum.
Notes about this:
- left out the sugar and didn’t miss it at all – it tasted exactly like store bought taco seasoning mix.
- You can multiply the quantities listed and store the rest in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the fridge so that you can be even FASTER next time. If doing this, the amount to add to your taco mixture is about 40g (adjust to taste).
- Making it at home from scratch means you’re missing out on common ingredients like maltodextrin, preservatives and anticaking agents – woohoo!
3 – Made the guacamole from the Australia / NZ Every Day Cookbook (2011 version). We love this recipe! Only 10 seconds to go from this:
Notes about this:
- We don’t do the lemon / lime zest step.
- Don’t clean the bowl beforehand – let the taco seasoning remnants add to your guacamole flavour!
- Sit your guacamole aside and cover with cling wrap until ready.
- Clean bowl before the next step.
4 – Make the mince mixture.
- Chop 1 onion, 1 clove of garlic & 2 tomatoes on Speed 5-6 for 3 seconds.
- Cook on Varoma, Reverse + Speed Soft for 4 mins
- Add 500g mince & seasoning mixture.
- Cook on Varoma, Reverse + Speed Soft for 12 mins
5 – While the mince mixture is cooking, roll out the dough as thin as possible. Cook on a frypan or pressed in a sandwich press.
After we stopped the clock, we thought “Could we make a GOOD gluten-free tortilla?”… as, to be honest, they are often NOT good. So here’s what we came up with…
By the way, if you are looking for a low-carb or paleo option… consider using a bed of baby spinach instead of a wrap!