Apple pies are the definition of comfort food. These little mini sized treats are perfect portions for a small appetite after dinner. If you are feeling a bit naughty, serve them with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for the ultimate pleasure.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Easy dessert to whip up in advance and have ready to go for your guests when they arrive. Everyone had seconds!” – Tarryn
No: Dairy / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Egg
- eggs – 2
- butter – 225g
- caster sugar – 50g
- plain flour – 350g, plus extra for dusting
- apples – 6, green
- caster sugar – 140g
- cinnamon – 1 tsp, ground
- plain flour – 50g
- cornflour – 1 tsp
- Separate an egg (1 only). Add the yolk to the mixer bowl and set the white aside in a small bowl.
- Add the remaining egg (1), butter (225g), caster sugar (50g) and flour (350g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 20 seconds. Remove the pastry and form into a ball. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- While the pastry is chilling, make the apple filling. Peel, core and quarter the apples (6).
- Place the apple pieces in the bowl along with the caster sugar (140g), cinnamon (1 tsp), flour (50g) and cornflour (1 tsp). Blitz Speed 4 / 10 seconds. Transfer into a small bowl until later.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Place the pastry on a floured surface. Halve and roll out one half to 5mm thickness.
- Cut out 12 circles using a 10cm diameter round cookie cutter.
- Place the pastry circles in a 12-hole muffin tin and press down using your hands.
- Fill each pastry shell with some apple pie filling.
- Roll out the other half to 5mm thickness and cut out 12 circles with a 7cm diameter round cookie cutter.
- Place on top of the pies and seal with your fingers. Cut a few slits in each pie lid and brush over the leftover egg white (1).
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. The lids may come up a bit as the apple mixture expands. That is fine. Serve immediately with ice cream or double cream
- You can freeze after completing Step 7, before baking. Put on a lined baking tray in the freezer for 30 minutes before transferring to an airtight container or ziplock bag. Bake from frozen for 25 minutes at 190C.
- You can also freeze after baking. Put on a lined baking tray in the freezer for 30 minutes before transferring to an airtight container or ziplock bag. Reheat in the oven at 180C or in the microwave.
- Can be frozen
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes