If you want to create a special meal for two, look no further. These shanks cook to perfection, and the zesty rosemary crumb adds perfect flavour. Sit them on top of the mash and drizzle with the delectable sauce that forms in the bowl for a meal to remember.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “An all in one set and forget recipe which requires very little preparation and produces a hearty winter meal. Definitely going on the rotation!” – Anthony
No: Gluten / Egg
Contains: Dairy / Nuts
- garlic cloves – 2, unpeeled
- olive oil – to drizzle
- lamb shanks – 2, approx. 500g each
- lemon – 6, peel, strips
- fresh rosemary – handful, leaves
- Parmesan cheese – 20g, or pecorino cheese
- almonds – 30g, raw
- salt flakes – 1/2 tsp
- butter – 40g
- water – 2L, hot
- sweet potato – 600g, peeled and cubed
- Preheat oven to 220C. Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Put garlic cloves (2) onto the baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven to cool.
- In a hot oiled frying pan, seal the lamb for 3 minutes on each side.
- Add lemon peel (6 strips), rosemary leaves (handful), Parmesan cheese (20g), almonds (30g) and salt flakes (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Mill Speed 8 / 15 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Without cleaning the bowl, return 20g of the crumb to the bowl along with butter (40g) and roasted garlic (peel first). Combine Speed 3 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Mix again Speed 4 / 5 seconds.
- Using a sharp knife, create a slit in the lamb shanks between the bone and the flesh. Put half of the butter in each one. If you have extra butter mixture, simply put it on the outside of the shank. Wrap up the shanks in foil and transfer to the steaming attachment lower dish.
- Without washing the bowl, fill the bowl with hot water (2L). Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 90 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. If your mixer cannot be programmed above 60 minutes, simply program 60 minutes and then add another 30 minutes at the end of the cooking time.
- Prepare the sweet potato (600g) by peeling, chopping and putting it in the internal steaming basket.
- Once the lamb has been cooking for 90 minutes, carefully remove the steaming attachment before putting the internal steaming basket containing the sweet potato into place. Return the steaming attachment to its position. Program a further 30 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2, steaming both the sweet potato and the lamb.
- Set the steaming attachment and internal steaming basket aside. Pour the sauce that has formed from cooking into a separate bowl for dressing your shank.
- Without washing the bowl, add your steamed sweet potato to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds. Continue until your preferred consistency has been reached. Serve half the sweet potato onto each serving plate.
- Unwrap the lamb shanks and place them upon the mash. Drizzle with the sauce and sprinkle with the remaining zesty rosemary crumb before serving.
- Can be frozen
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Keywords: Free Thermomix Recipes, Lunch & Dinner Thermomix Recipes