Sweet and salty with a little bit of heat, this trail mix is the perfect starter to have sitting on the table when your guests arrive to your American BBQ. It also makes for a great foodie gift, especially with the guys!
This recipe was featured in Episode 81 of The 4 Blades podcast: Father’s Day Food Gifts.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Just love this salty-spicy and sweet mix, it would make an awesome gift!” – Heather
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
- maple syrup – 130g
- rum – 50g, spiced
- cayenne pepper – 1/2 tsp
- cinnamon – 1/2 tsp, ground
- salt flakes – 2 tsp, use less for fine salt
- bacon – 100g, diced (best to use the tail of the bacon rather than the eye)
- nuts and seeds of choice – 350g, can include dried fruits too
- Add maple syrup (130g), rum (50g), cayenne (1/2 tsp), cinnamon (1/2 tsp) and salt flakes (2 tsp) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 100C / Speed 1-2.
- Whilst the syrup is cooking, cook bacon (100g) in a frying pan on the stove until crispy.
- Add the bacon along with the bacon fat to the bowl. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- While waiting for the syrup to cool, preheat the oven to 150C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add nut / seed / fruit mix (350g) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 2 / 10 seconds.
- Spread the mix out onto prepared baking tray as one single layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the mix to cool for 5 minutes before breaking up the mix a bit and returning to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Store in a sealed airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or transfer to a dish for serving.
Store in an airtight container
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: Free Thermomix Recipes, Savoury Thermomix Snacks, Sweet Thermomix Snacks