The cardboard-like unbendable tortillas have long been the bane of a gluten-free existence. No delicious soft wraps for us! Well, until now!
We were super excited to find this delicious (& easy!) recipe for gluten-free tortillas from King Arthur Flour, which we have converted for the Thermomix.
210g GF plain flour (we used a store bought mix)
150g besan / chickpea flour (you could also use dried chickpeas and grind your own)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp xanthan gum
20g oil (we used grape seed oil)
- Add the dry ingredients to the TM bowl. If using dried chickpeas, add these first and grind 1 min, Speed 9.
- Mix with 4 Turbo blasts
- Scrape down sides. Add wet ingredients. Mix 1 min, Speed 5. Sit for 15 minutes.
The cooking process is an interesting one, and much easier to understand by watching Joe in the video below. Otherwise, written instructions are below the video.
- Heat a pan or sandwich press. Cut out two pieces of baking paper (roughly to the size of what you will be cooking in) and spray one side of each with oil.
- Put a good tablespoon dollop of the mixture on the oiled side of the baking paper. Put the oiled side of the other baking paper on top and use your rolling pin to roll out thinly.
- Put the baking paper / tortilla bundle in the sandwich press or on the stove. Leave for 15-30 seconds. Take top baking paper off and flip tortilla over. Take other paper off too. Cook for about 15 seconds before flipping to other side. (Note: if using a sandwich press, no need to flip)
Your delicious, flexible tortilla is now ready to be enjoyed!
PS. What are you going to have with those tortillas? Check out our Mexican-themed Thermomix podcast for ideas!Print
Gluten Free Wraps
- Total Time: 5 minutes + approximately 1 minute per wrap
- Yield: approx. 15 wraps, depending on size
The cardboard-like unbendable tortillas have long been the bane of a gluten free existence. It’s very hard to find delicious soft wraps! Well, until now! We were super excited to find this delicious (and easy!) recipe for gluten free tortillas from King Arthur Flour®, which we have converted for thermo mixers. The cooking process is an interesting one, and much easier to understand by watching Joe in the video below.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “This recipe will now be a staple in our house. Tasty, soft, flexible wraps without gluten – who would have thought it possible. These are amazing and so quick to make!” – Kylie
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
- besan / chickpea flour – 150g, or dried chickpeas
- plain flour – 210g, GF (we used a store-bought mix, Orgran™ brand)
- salt – 1 tsp
- xanthan gum – 1 tsp
- water – 210g
- oil – 25g
- egg – 1
- If using dried chickpeas (150g), add these to the bowl first. Program 1 minute / Speed 9.
- Add plain flour (210g), salt (1 tsp) and xanthan gum (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Closed Lid / Turbo / 4 x 1 second blasts. Scrape down sides.
- Add water (210g), oil (25g) and egg (1) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Program 1 minute / Closed Lid / Kneading Function.
- Due to the sticky nature of the gluten free dough, it is best to roll out the dough (1 dessertspoon per wrap) between two pieces of lightly oiled baking paper. We cook ours on a flat grill toasted sandwich maker.
Dough can be frozen
Keywords: Free Thermomix Recipes, Thermomix Side Dishes, Thermomix Snacks