The inspiration for these ‘clean’ chewy choc cookies was a flier I (Bec) found at my sister’s house from Lorna Jane’s recent ‘Move Nourish Believe’ campaign. I found the recipe online and read the comments (because they LOOKED yum), discovering that there were some comments about them being dry and crumbly. With a few tweaks, I created a Thermomix conversion which is lovely and dense, holds together well and is made in record time.
An important note about these chewy choc cookies is that they are NOT sweet. Well, not really. If you are living a fairly low-sugar lifestyle, then these will be perfect for you. If you are looking for a direct replacement for your Tim Tams… you’ll be pretty disappointed. I loved that they satisfied my chocolate craving with minimal sugar (and of the fructose-free variety!), while telling my brain that I was satisfied by including the good fats and fibre from the almonds, chia seeds and coconut oil.
They freeze well, so you can make them and (after they cool) store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer for lunches and snacks.
They were featured in Episode 41 of the podcast, so you can hear all about them there.
I hope you like them!
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
- chia seeds – 2 tablespoons
- water – 3 tablespoons
- almonds – 200g, raw
- cacao powder – 20g
- coconut oil – 30g
- rice malt syrup – 70g
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius (not fan forced).
- In a small bowl, mix 2 Tbsp chia seeds with 3 Tbsp water. Mix with a spoon so that all seeds are wet. Set aside.
- Add 200g raw almonds to the TM bowl. Speed 7 / 10 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients – cacao, coconut oil, rice malt syrup and chia seeds. Reverse+Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Roll into balls and press gently between your palms so you are left with 4-5cm discs. It should make 20 discs of this size. Place onto a lined baking tray.
- Cook in oven for 12-15minutes. Keep an eye on them – you should be able to tap them with your fingertip and hear a sound, and press them with your finger pad and have it give way a LITTLE (crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside). Don’t let them burn!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: Thermomix Desserts, Free Thermomix Recipes, Sweet Thermomix Snacks, Vegan, Vegetarian