This is my new favourite dessert after trying churros for the first time in Queensland earlier this year. I love that they are crunchy on the outside and slightly chewy on the inside. They are surprisingly very easy to make at home. You may need to experiment a few times to perfect them (like you do with most batters and frying!) – Peta
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Choc chilli dipping sauce:
- chocolate – 100g, dark, broken up
- cream – 80g, pure
- chilli flakes – 1/4 tsp, ground, or to taste
- butter – 50g, cubed
- water – 65g, hot
- plain flour – 80g
- eggs – 2, lightly beaten
- oil – for frying, coconut or rice bran oil are good choices, or vegetable oil for budget friendly option icing sugar, to dust
- Place chocolate (100g), cream (80g) and ground chilli flakes (1/4 tsp) in to bowl.
- Program 5 minutes / 80C / Speed 2. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- Clean and dry the mixer bowl.
- Place butter (50g) and water (65g) into bowl.
- Program 6 minutes / 100C / Speed 2. In the last 30 seconds add the plain flour (80g).
- Mix on Speed 3 until the mixture forms a dough like consistency and comes away from the sides. This will take approximately a minute or two.
- Set the dial to Speed 2 and slowly pour in the beaten egg (2 eggs) through the hole in the lid. Pour in half a tablespoon at a time and allow it to completely incorporate before adding more.
- Spoon batter into a large piping bag with a large star nozzle attached.
- Pour oil into a large deep frying pan. You want approximately 4-5 cm of oil to deep fry the churros. Heat this over a medium to high heat. Every stove does vary so you will need to test this. You want it hot enough that when a small dollop of batter hits the oil its starts to bubble and cook. Be careful not to have it too hot as the churros will burn on the outside and be raw in the middle.
- Pipe three churros into the pan. Cook for 2 minutes on one side and a minute or so on the other. They will puff up and be slightly golden.
- Drain on a wire rack and cook the remaining churros.
- Once all are cooked, dust with a little icing sugar and serve with chocolate dipping sauce.
Best served immediately as they will go soft upon standing
Keywords: Thermomix Desserts, Free Thermomix Recipes, Sweet Thermomix Snacks, Vegetarian