Cherry pie… a wonderful dessert that you can prepare for a large crowd. Use fresh cherries when they are abundant in the summer months, or the jarred variety during other months of the year. After making the pie you can freeze it to have on hand for a rainy day. Pop it back into a moderate oven covered with aluminium foil to heat through and Bob’s your uncle! Hot cherry pie!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “With short crisp pastry and cherries this just makes me think of America. A generous slice served with whipped cream or ice cream is great for any time of the day!” – Gail
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
- egg – 1, beaten or milk, to brush the pastry
- ice cream – to serve, optional
- cream – fresh, to serve, optional
- butter – 220g, cold
- plain flour – 500g, plus extra for dusting
- caster sugar – 150g
- egg yolk – 6
- water – 60g, cold
- cherries – 600g, fresh pitted, or jarred sour cherries, drained
- lemon – 1, zest and juice only
- plain flour – 10g
- cornflour – 30g
- caster sugar – 150g
- vanilla – 1 tsp, extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- If you need to make your own caster sugar, add sugar (300g) and grind Speed 9 / 3 seconds. Set aside.
- Weigh the water (60g) into the measuring cap. Set aside.
- Add the butter (220g), flour (500g), caster sugar (150g) and egg yolks (6) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 25 seconds while adding the water (60g) through the lid.
- Place the mixture on a floured surface, divide in two, wrap each half of the mixture in clingfilm and transfer to the freezer for 20 minutes. You can make the filling while waiting for the pastry to chill.
- Take out one half of the pastry, roll into a large circle and use the pastry to line a 22cm pie dish. Leave the overlapping sides as they are until later.
- Clean the bowl. If you need to blitz your own lemon zest, add the peel (from 1 lemon) to the bowl now and blitz Speed 10 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides and repeat until desired consistency has been reached.
- Add the cherries (600g), lemon zest and juice (from 1 lemon), flour (10g), cornflour (30g), caster sugar (150g) and vanilla (1 tsp) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 1 / 20 seconds.
- Pour the cherry mixture into the prepared pie dish and distribute evenly.
- Remove the remaining pastry from the freezer and roll out to a circle that can cover the pie. Place it carefully on top of the cherries and use a fork to seal the bottom and top edges together. You can trim off any excess pastry at this stage and rewrap in clingfilm to use at another time.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg (1) or milk and poke a few holes in the pie with a knife to let the steam out while it is cooking.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm with a dollop of ice cream or some fresh cream.
Can be frozen
Keywords: Thermomix Desserts, Free Thermomix Recipes, Sweet Thermomix Snacks, Vegetarian