Love Mars Bars? Try Thermomix Mars Bar Slice!
Who loves Mars Bar Slice? In Episode 102 we share three awesome ‘Mars Bar’ recipes that make for a perfect sweet treat, along with 9 awesome tips to help you cut picture-perfect pieces of slice.
To start off this podcast we ran through 9 awesome tips for perfectly cutting a slice. These tips have been created by Lucy from Bake Play Smile. Tap here for the complete blog post with lots of awesome information.
Here is a quick summary of what we discussed:
- Line your tin with baking paper. Use the inner pieces for your photos – edges don’t make for the perfect slice!
- Consider if it is best to cut in the tin or transfer to the bench for cutting. Tip: Custardy slices are best cut in the tin.
- Leave the slice to cool completely. Tip: leave overnight for best results. Cut when very cold.
- Consider the best type of knife for your slice. Lucy uses a small serrated knife for 80% of her slices. A large flat edged knife works well on slices where you want a very sharp edge (like fudge). The slice needs to be quite firm and without a hard chocolate topping (e.g. lemon coconut slice or ANZAC slice). See images in her blog post.
- Consider the direction of cutting. Refer to Lucy’s blog post or discussion in the podcast for the details on this one.
- Wipe knife clean after every cut. Tip: Bec likes to use paper towel for this.
- Consider if you should use a hot or cold knife. Tip: a hot dry knife works well for chocolate topped slices or cheesecake slice.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil when melting chocolate for topping.
- You can finish off each individual piece to make them perfect if necessary!
The recipes we chose this week were:
Recipe 1 – Perfect Mars Bar Slice (from Bake Play Smile)
The funny thing about this recipe is that Joe didn’t realise that there were Thermomix instructions beneath the standard instructions! He had created similar instructions, however he hadn’t used Speed 2 for the initial melt of the Mars bars and therefore found the whip component of the Mars bar hadn’t broken down, so he mixed on Speed 4 after melting to break it down further. We also didn’t use Lucy’s tip of adding 1-2 Tbsp of coconut oil to the chocolate topping. We think this would have made for a much smoother topping, and easier cutting. We didn’t implement the tips above very well at all so they weren’t perfect pieces of slice, but boy did they taste good! This was very well received!
Recipe 2 – Healthy Mars Bar Slice – GF / DF (from Wholefood Simply)
We LOVED the idea of using rice cakes for the ‘rice bubbles’ in this recipe. It gave a really great texture that you just don’t get from gluten free puffed rice. This recipe doesn’t have Thermomix instructions, so here is what we did:
- Add roughly crumbled rice cakes (35g) to the bowl and process Reverse+Speed 5 / 4 seconds.
- Add honey (100g), cacao (10g), peanut butter (50g), vanilla extract (1/2 tsp), salt (pinch) and desiccated coconut (15g) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 3 / 10 seconds.
- Press the mixture into a lined loaf tin and press down with the back of the MC. Transfer to the fridge to set.
- We also made a chocolate topping by combining honey (30g), cacao (15g) and coconut oil (50g) in the bowl and programming 3 minutes / 50C / Speed 2. Scrape down sides half way through.
- Pour the topping over the slice. Because it is quite thin it generally sunk into the slice without staying on top. Consider allowing the topping to cool before pouring it on top. By the way, the addition of coconut oil means that it doesn’t travel particularly well… best to be kept in the fridge until closer to serving!
Recipe 3 – Mars Bar Balls (from The Road to Loving My Thermo Mixer)
These delicious little balls have been SO popular, so we just had to include them in this podcast. They are so impressive and delicious, and yet very easy to prepare. If you are a lover of Mars bars you will LOVE these balls. Ours were made a little big and not quite ball-like as we cut the fun size Mars bar into 3 rather than 4. We cut them in half to serve them – everyone loved them! Follow the recipe and you will be in for a treat!
Here are some cool tips from this podcast…
- Use the top of your MC to press the slice into the tin… no more dirty fingers!
- Love Mars Bars? Check out Episode 22 of the podcast for a delicious Mars Bar Cheesecake!
Do you have a tip for cutting slice? Leave us a note in the comments below!
If you enjoyed this podcast, we’d be extremely grateful if you would take a second and leave us a review and rating over on iTunes. Once on that page, simply click on the “View in iTunes” button to leave your review — thanks very much!