Looking for unique Valentine’s Day cakes?
Wanting to make special Valentine’s Day cakes for the one you love with the thing you love (your Thermomix of course!)? In Episode 94, we present two delicious yet unique options for Valentine’s Day cakes, perfect for Valentine’s Day and beyond!
The recipes we chose this week are:
Recipe 1 – Red Velvet Cupcakes (from Thermomix in Australia’s Recipe Community)
These make such unique and gorgeous gifts. Perfect Valentine’s Day cakes! This recipe gave us 12 red velvet cupcakes, with a delicious dollop of cream cheese icing on top (we used a piping bag). We only made a third of the icing recipe, and it was the perfect amount. These cupcakes were well received by our family and friends! In the podcast you will hear us talking about the fact we made our own baking powder (as we usually do… but used some VERY old bicarb soda, which we think affected how much our cakes rose).
Recipe 2 – Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Nutella Buttercream Icing (from Thermomix Baking Blogger)
This cake smells AMAZING!!! We made our own caster sugar first, and then added the chocolate to be grated, without removing the sugar, which worked really well. The feedback on this cake has been very good! We made it using gluten free flour, and the texture was great. You can’t taste the red wine. You may notice ours doesn’t look as amazing as Sophia’s (Thermomix Baking Blogger) does… that’s because our buttercream icing split! We talk about ways to rectify this in the podcast, and in the tips below.
Here are some cool tips from this podcast…
- Don’t crack eggs directly into the bowl – crack into a cup first to make sure no shell goes in (or in case the egg isn’t good!)
- Not sure if your bicarb soda is still good? Add to some vinegar. If it fizzes, it’s ok!
- Want to make all your cupcakes the same size? Weigh the same amount of batter in each one.
- Finding that your cupcake wrappers are browning? Consider budgeting two cupcake wrappers per cake – one to cook in, and then remove it and sit it in another cupcake wrapper / case.
- Looking for a healthier version of red velvet cake? Check out this Red Velvet Cake coloured with beetroot and raspberries!
- Does your cake need further cooking, but the top is browning? Cover in alfoil and keep cooking!
- Buttercream icing has separated? Check out these ideas for how to rectify.
- Want more Valentine’s Day ideas? Check out Episode 36 for a Valentine’s Day 3 Course Meal, or Episode 63 for Healthy Chocolate Ideas.
- Want to see us in our test kitchen? Join us on Periscope @the4blades
What will you make for your Valentine? Leave us a note in the comments below!
If you enjoyed this podcast, we’d be extremely grateful if you would take a second and leave us a review and rating over on iTunes. Once on that page, simply click on the “View in iTunes” button to leave your review — thanks very much!